Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name) Review

KIMI NO NA WA (Your Name)- 2016

Oops!This ain't my body..



Director________Makato Shinkai
Country_________Japan



 Your Name
(2016) on IMDb 
I remember two years back a friend of mine suggesting me a movie, 'Five centimeters per second'. Having never heard of it earlier, I went into the movie not knowing what to expect and oh boy, I was simply blown away. Needless to say I became an instant fan of Makato Shinkai. So when Kimi no na wa released and was greeted with rave reviews by both audiences and critics, it became an instant must watch for me. Now that I have finally seen the movie, I can safely say that, yeah this one was worth all the accolades it garnered. I don’t know about others but for me, I would be placing this movie even higher than five cms. The former was a great movie in its own right, but this one somehow made me feel much more involved with the characters, and left a deeper impact.
The story revolves around two central characters, a boy from Tokyo and a girl from a certain small town in Japan, and their experiences as they start to interchange their bodies in their sleep, waking up as the other person.
The movie starts off as a comedy, with the two having no idea first about what is actually happening, and the way they try to accommodate themselves in their new bodies. Gradually they come to know about actual thing that’s going on, and end up providing some help in the other’s life. The movie is really entertaining in the first half, as we are shown their experiences. In fact, you would have no inkling about, what awaits you in the second half. Without spoiling anything, I can just say that the second half is an unforgettable experience, with the story evolving into something really deep and unforgettable, an experience that will strike you right in the heart.
But then again, if it leaves you emotionally unscathed, then it’s not a Makato Shinkai movie.


Rating-8/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Conformist (1970) Review

Review of Battles Without Honour and Humanity (1973) The first of Kinji Fukasaku's Yakuza Papers Series

Brightburn Review